Port Fairy is a Victorian coastal town that lies at the mouth of the Moyne River, on a headland east of Portland Bay. A settlement was established there in 1835 called Belfast for a time until it was renamed for a ship, the Fairy, that had sheltered in its harbour in 1810. Port Fairy became Victoria’s first municipality (1852) and was proclaimed a borough in 1863. Connected to Melbourne (240 km northeast) and Adelaide by road and rail, it is a regional agricultural centre (sheep, cattle, dairying, and vegetable farming). Industries include engineering, food processing, and the production of bluestone products and antibiotics.
Port Fairy is also a resort, and its harbour, which served as a whaling station in the 19th century, is now the base of a large fishing fleet. Nearby are Battery Hill (an old fort), the extinct volcanoes Tower Hill and Mount Eccles, and seal and muttonbird rookeries. But perhaps it biggest attraction, is the magnificent beach. Think Bondi Beach, only bigger, and better.